Search this Title
About this Title
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign student newspaper. Published monthly from 1871 to 1873, for what was then called Illinois Industrial University (the current name would be adopted in 1885), it served as a forum for the expression of the "New Education" which the University utilized at that time. This referred to the union of liberal arts, engineering, and agriculture in the curriculum. These different academic departments had sections "side by side" in the paper. The editors equated these "divisions of learning" within the school with the "complicated structure of human knowledge."
It combined essays from different disciplines with news articles, advertisements, and University announcements. These included items about University cadets traveling to Chicago to assist in the aftermath of the Great Fire of 1871, as well as minutes of administration committee meetings.
Its final issue appeared in December of 1873. Though the reason for its demise is unknown, the editors noted that they were unsure of the paper’s prospects for the coming year. Perhaps they were graduating, or funds may have run out. It was succeeded by The Illini, which still exists today as the Daily Illini.
This title is available thanks to the generosity of Karl W. Greve.